It has been months, or maybe years, since I dreamt of organizing an event. With the support of my family, we were able to make it a reality.
This month, we went to Nazareth, Bahay Pag-Ibig, a facility that caters to older people.
Truth be told, it wasn’t hard to organize knowing that we only wanted a small gathering for them. Here’s what we did.
1. Coordinated with the organizers on the date, headcount, and the every day things they need.
2. Asked my relatives to contribute small amounts of cash.
3. My auntie volunteered to do the grocery shopping while I stayed in touch with the coordinator for the final details.
4. One of my aunties prepared the soup and asked other volunteers to come with us.
5. We were supposed to have a program but due to technical difficulties, we had to scratch it off. That was actually a good thing because we became more ‘personal’ with our lolos and lolas.
We had mixed emotions after our small event. Of course, we were happy for being able to put smiles on their faces. At the same time, it tore our hearts knowing that some of them still have their families who just stopped visiting them.
A couple of hours might be too short for some, but it’s enough for us to feel such strong emotions.
And yes, we’ll continue this act and pay it forward.